The company is hired by a dwarven merchant named Gundren Rockseeker to escort a wagon of supplies to the frontier town of Phandalin. Gundren himself has gone ahead of the group with a warrior by the name of Sildar Hallwinter to attend to business in the town in advance of your arrival. The agreement is that each of you is to be paid 10gp by the owner of Barthen’s Provisions in Phandalin when you deliver the wagon safely to the trading post.
The company leaves in the morning for Phandalin, eventually reaching the Triboar trail turning east off the main road. After traveling along the trail for some time, they come upon a pair of dead horses lying across the track. Two goblins are feasting on the remians, oblivious to the new arrivals. The company springs into action, attacking the goblins. While thus engaged, they are attacked by two more goblins who were hiding in the tree line. After a brief fight, the goblins are dispatched.
Inspection of the dead horses confirms them to be those of Gundren and his companion. Inspection of the remaining area reveals that a larger group of goblins have already left after the ambush taking a forest path to the north. The tracks indicate that they took two humans with them. The company decides that the best course of action would be to continue on th Phandelvin with the wagon, before returning the following day to investigate the northern path.
Arrival in Phandelvin
The party arrives in Phandelver without further adventure. They quickly deliver the Wagon and receive payment. As it is late in the evening, they decide to spend the night in The Stonehill Inn. while having dinner and a well earned drink, the company come up to speed with the goings on in the area. In particular, they learn that :
- "Sister Garaele, who oversees the Shrine of Luck, recently left town for a few days, then returned wounded and exhausted."
- "Doran Edermath, the orchard keeper, is a former adventurer."
- "Orc raiders have been seen on the east end of Triboar Trail. The townmaster is looking for someone to run them off."
- "Thel Dendrar, a local woodcarver, stood up to the Redbrands a tenday ago when they came by his shop and leered at his wife. The ruffians murdered him. Several townsfolk saw it happen. The Redbrands grabbed his body, and now his wife, daughter, and son have gone missing too."
- "Qelline Alderlears son Carp said he found a secret tunnel in the woods, but Redbrands almost caught him."
- "The Redbrands hassle every business in town, except for the Phandalin Miner's Exchange. They don't want trouble with Halia Thornton, who runs it."
Before turnning in for the night, the company visits the local shrine to Tymora which is overseen by a Sister Garaele. She needs an intermediary to bring Banshee named Agatha in exchange for telling what she knows about the location of a spellbook belonging to a legendary mage named Bowgentle. The company agree to do this in exchange for three potions of healing.